July 2, 2008

Yale Art School 1978, MFA critique, They said: "We don't know what you want to do." TRUE! I was experimenting. This is an arch, half circle, installation of hand made papers. Winifred Lutz was teaching sculpture there and since I had been making paper in Cleveland, we clicked. Winifred taught us how to make exquisite paper making screens. We found a paper mill to donate a hollander machine that beat cotton pulp. I made these keystone shaped papers, mixing two colors of pulp gradually. That half circle / lunette became my leitmotif-stchick. Hallelujah. 
That is me posing.


The Arch Influence:

Is this part of it? For two years, summer through winter, I walked by and under this magnificent architecture. Lois Kahn's last building, the Yale Center for British Art, was across the street. The Skull and Bones tomb was on the other side of the arch.

No comments: